Learn the Important Facts about Bloating in ChildrenThursday, 19 April 2018
Bloating is not a complaint exclusive for adult, because children can have similar problem. Bloating is a condition when your stomach is distended and full. Sometimes, this complaint is accompanied by other complaint like the reduction of passing gas. The normal frequency for passing gas in children and adult is 14-23 times a day. Bloating is not a complaint exclusive for adult, because children can have similar problem. Bloating is a condition when your stomach is distended and full. Sometimes, this complaint is accompanied by other complaint like the reduction of passing gas. The normal frequency for passing gas in children and adult is 14-23 times a day.The cause of bloating is the ingestion of air, the consumption of certain food and beverages or a problem with your digestion. Your children is more vulnerable to bloating because his digestion organ has not fully developed. In certain activities, like eating, drinking or talking, air is often ingested in a small amount. If eating process is done in a short period of time, the amount of air being ingested is increased. The frequency of crying among children will also influence the ingestion of air. The ingested air will fill the gut and the intestines, and eventually cause bloating. You may also recall that your children hiccup lately, this might related with the amount of air ingested. Apart from the above mentioned factors, several others risk factor to develop bloating are:
- Food Food high in fiber like nuts, cabbage, and cauliflower.
- Beverages Carbonated drink or soda will increase the production of gas in the digestive tract.
- Lactose intolerance This disorder is related to the absence of enzyme that metabolize lactose in your body. If your children drink a glass of milk or dairy product which contain lactose, and his body can not digest lactose contained in the milk, this would eventually lead to bloating, or diarrhea.
- Gut infection The example of gut infection is gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is the infection of your gut and intestines with virus or bacteria.
- Constipation Difficulty in passing stool can cause bloating due to the impaired process of waste removal.
- Feed your children slowly and don’t feed him with a large amount of food at once. Give him time to chew the food adequately.
- Avoid the use of straw to minimize the amount of air ingested.
- Reduce the consumption of certain food, like carbohydrate-rich food that can increase gas production. As the amount of fiber increased, so does gas production. Reduce the portion and put some variety in your children menu to fulfill his nutrition needs.
- Record the type and the amount of food or beverages that make your children bloat. The type of food that cause bloating might be different from one person to the others, it depends on the type of bacteria in your gut. Generally bloating causing food include:
- Vegetables and nutsSome vegetables like asparagus, nuts, broccoli, bean sprouts, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, peppers are very good for your health, but also contain a lot of sugar and fiber that might be difficult to digest.
- Fruits Fruits that contains a lot of fructose, sorbitol, or fibers like apple, banana, pear, peach, orange, and raisins.
- Milk and dairy product These products usually contain a lot of lactose and increase gas production.
- Wheat Wheat contains fiber in high amount and trigger the production of gas.
- Beverages Carbonated drink, juice, or syrup that contain fructose and sorbitol.
- Increase your children physical activity, thereby decreasing the bloating because the gas can exit the body easier.
- Watery stool more than 3 days or bloody diarrhea.
- The reduction of body weight.
- Increasing abdominal diameter.Reduced appetite.
- The frequency of bloating getting more often and more severe in intensity.
- Persistent symptoms despite lifestyle changes.