Great Tips for Introducing Solid Foods to Your BabyWednesday, 10 January 2018
Klikdokter.com – Exclusive breastfeeding or formula milk is needed by babies for their first 6 months. But after that, you have to consider introducing solid food to meet your baby’s nutrient needs for his growth and development. Here are signs that your baby is ready for solid food:
- He is around six months old
- He starts to show interest and curiosity in solid food.
- He starts to shift from sucking nipple to swallow things.
- He can sit with a steady back and neck.
- For starters, feed your baby cereal that contain high iron. After that you can start with vegetables, fruits, and meat. But don’t give all of them at once. Wait for 2 to 3 days, then you can introduce new food.
- Give various textures of food, such as meat and vegetables. This will help your baby’s bowel maturity.
- Pay attention your baby when you give him a new food. You need to know if there are any allergic signs and symptoms - especially if the family member also has allergy history. Food like egg, milk, wheat, and nut sometimes can trigger allergic reaction.
- Make sure the food is really soft so they won’t choke.
- You can also give them snacks such as bread, cereal, chicken, egg, or banana, beside the main meal
- Don’t give them cow’s milk (ultra high temperature (UHT))or honey until they are 1 year old.
- Put the baby on his chair or put on your lap if he cannot sit alone. This way, you can make a strict rule for your baby that he only can eat at the dinner table.
- Make this eating activities as fun as possible, to strengthen mom and baby relationship.